Table Of Content
- 1 Welcome to the Ultimate SEO Guide for Beginner’s 2020
- 2 Chapter 1: Introduction to SEO
- 3 Chapter 2: Keyword Research
- 4 Chapter 3: What is SEO?
Welcome to the Ultimate SEO Guide for Beginner’s 2020
Hello there, welcome to the ultimate SEO guide for beginners, in this guide you’ll be learning the basics of Search engine optimization from keyword research to link building, how to make your site search engine friendly, how to select the right keyword for blogs/pages that will generate quality traffic.
Though the Search Engine Optimization is changing every time but this guide will give you the knowledge about the basics of SEO that hardly changes and also update with the latest changes in the year 2020. Search engine optimization is the essential technique that every company wants to use to be found on the top of the search results.
Once you finished this ultimate SEO guide for beginner’s you’ll have a strong understanding of how search engine optimization works. What you have to do if you want to rank higher and be visible on SERP’s. Who don’t know SERP, SERP is Search Engine Results Pages I’ll be using this term in this guide and in my future pages as well.
Remember this guide is for beginner’s who don’t know a thing about SEO so, I’ll be going through the basics, if you are familiar with the SEO then you can just refresh your memory or don’t pay attention to the part you already know. I’ll be posting the expert series as well.
Note: Remember you need to apply all the techniques you’ll learn in this guide. The more you practice the more you’ll learn.
SEO IS NO JOKE!!
Chapter 1: Introduction to SEO
- What is a Search Engine?
- Why Search Engine is Important for Business?
- How Does Search Engine Works?
What is a Search Engine?
A Search Engine is a program that identifies the files in its database when a user asks for it (keyword or Search Query) and returns the best possible results accordingly. Examples of search engines are Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, DuckDuckG, etc.
In most of the search engines, there are 10 results on a page. But you can change the settings and it can show your more results, the maximum is 100 results per page.
Speaking of search engines, YouTube and Quora are also a type of search engine now. If we want to see a tutorial or a video then we directly search it on YouTube. And if we want to see an answer from people’s points of view we opt for Quora as well.
Why Search Engine is Important for Business?
Internet Searches are growing day by day, for every little information people use search engines. And if you’re a business owner or a company you want your business to be on SERP’s.
It is the best way to reach new clients as they are the one who is searching for you or the service you provide. It is called inbound marketing. It will drive traffic to your website and which will increase the probability to convert visitors into customers.
Most of the time people search for: Items they want to purchase, Travel accommodation, Travel destinations, Jobs/work, Real estate, Celebrity news, and videos. If I have to categorize these things, then people go to the internet to mainly search for two things: One is to buy something and the second one is to get information. Other than these two is for social media only.
According to Ahrefs (One of the Best SEO Tool), these are the top 15 searches as of 2020 on Google (Worldwide). These types of content and keywords are searched by the users:
How Does a Search Engine Works?
Now the question is how a search engine works, search engine process is pretty simple. It consists of 4 processes that a search engine do. The four processes of a search engines are:
- Crawling: In general computing, term crawl means- systematically visit. The process of reading website codes (content) is called Crawling. The Crawler sometimes called a Bot (Robot) or a Spider is a tool of a search engine whose job is to go around the World Wide Web (www) and find the new content and web pages.
- Indexing: In general term index means an alphabetical list of names, subjects, etc. with reference to the pages on which they are mentioned. In Search engine terms indexing means storing your webpage’s copy to the search engine database. After the crawler finished crawling it will get back the data to the search engine database and store it there.
- Retrieval: Retrieval means the process of getting something back from somewhere. The process of fetching the results from the database when a user asks for it. So, when a user types a keyword or search query the search engine program searches the similar and the exact keyword in the database and returns the results to the user.
- Ranking: Ranking is the last part of the search engine process. There are multiple results for keywords sometimes 100 and sometimes 1000000 but which result to show first and which result to show last. So, the process of placing web pages on SERPs in response to the user query is called ranking.
So how does a search engine choose how to rank a page at #1 or at #10? Search engines use different algorithms that cross-check many Ranking factors on a web page, which one’s fits perfect in algorithms will be ranked higher. We’ll talk about Google/Search Engine Algorithms later. But in this chapter, we’ll discuss different ranking factors that will help you to crack the ranking algorithms.
The first thing for SEO is to understand how human visitors might Search (what keyword), what SEO tools should we use? This leads us to the next chapter of this ultimate SEO Guide.
Chapter 2: Keyword Research
- Types of Keywords
- Finding Keywords
- Keyword Research Tools
Types of Keywords
What is purpose of search? If they want to buy something or if they want some information. There are mainly 5 types of keywords:
- Branded Keyword: Keywords which have brand name included and mainly used to find a particular brand product or service. Sometimes competitors try to rank their sites as well on their keywords. Example:One Plus Earphones.
- Application Based Keyword: Application based keywords works where people are looking for particular model or type of a product or a service. Example: Mobile Phone with 8Gb RAM.
- Location Based Keyword: Location type of keyword is now mainly used for maps purpose but in some cases people might need to know about the locations, sometimes people wants to reviews on another sites as well or if people are looking for properties. Example: One Plus Service Center in Delhi, Girls PG in Lajpat Nagar.
- Purchase Type Keyword: Purchase type keywords are in which people use Buy or Purchase word with their keyword. Example: Buy One Plus 8 Pro.
- Long Tail Keyword: Long Tail keywords are used by the bloggers mainly so that they can cover more than one keyword in an article. Example: How to select right Smartphone, Mens wallet with coins compartment.
The sole purpose of keyword research is to find the right target audience for you and to know what they might actually search not what we think they search. You might rank for keywords without researching it but what if that particular keyword doesn’t have any or very little monthly traffic.
The First step to Keyword Research is to make a spreadsheet or excel sheet to store your data. This excel sheet will be useful for the future as well. The good thing about making a spreadsheet is you don’t have to do lots of work for your future posts.
I have created an Excel sheet for you so that it can help you in your keyword research and you can do it hassle-free. You can edit the sheet as of your comfort but I strongly recommend you use the original one. And if you like you can share it with your friends and colleagues as well.
After downloading the spreadsheet, the second step is to open google.com and type the keyword in which you want to write your article (Open in Incognito window, simply press Ctrl + Shift + N in your chrome browser) and don’t press enter. You’ll get an idea of what people are searching on Google and write those keywords in your list, also add similar keywords to your list that you think people might search.
Now, the third step is to open your Google keyword planner and search your keyword in that to see the volume and competition of each keyword that you entered in your list. Write down your keyword volume under Search Volume (GKP). Also, look for additional keywords under people also search for options in Google Keyword Planner.
Fourth Step is to open Moz Keyword Explorer and search again for all the keywords just to cross-check and write down their monthly search volume under Search Volume (Moz-KE). You can also check the DA PA of other competitors who rank on top of those keywords.
Fifth Step is to open Ubersuggest and do the same process again and write down their keyword monthly volume under Search Volume (Ubersuggest).
The sixth and final step is to filter all the keywords you wrote down under the INCLUDE DUPLICATES option. You’ve to take the keywords which have more search volume and also write down their keyword difficulty and search volume. You’ve to avoid taking duplicate keywords.
If you’re a new site you can also go for low search volume keywords as their Keyword Difficulty would be very less. Keyword Difficulty is basically how much it is difficult to rank in that particular keyword, the same thing is Competition in Google Keyword Planner. Also, the volumes might differ in each SEO tool.
Keyword Research Tools
These are the top 7 keyword research tools / SEO tools that will help you to grow your organic traffic:
- Ahrefs (Paid)
- SEMrush (Freemium)
- Moz Keyword Explorer (Freemium)
- Google Keyword Planner (Free)
- Majestic (Paid)
- Ubersuggest (Freemium)
- Google Trends (Free)
Bonus SEO Tool/Keyword Research: KwFinder (Freemium)
Chapter 3: What is SEO?
- What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
- On Page Optimization
- Off Page Optimization
What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
SEO is the process of ranking the web pages well in SERP’s by improving their content and other ranking factors. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
SEO helps us to improve our website traffic quality and volume of traffic.
According to netmarketshare.com, 75% of Searchers search on Google. So we will learn how to do SEO for Google.
There more than 200 ranking factors in Google and Google don’t reveal or give hints about all the factors. We’ll cover the most important ones that will help in SEO. But before we discuss SEO ranking factors we’ll discuss two important SEO techniques: Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO.
|Black Hat SEO||White Hat SEO|
|Duplicate Content||Relevant Content|
|Invisible Text and Keyword Stuffing||Well Labeled Images|
|Cloaking or Re-directing users to different sites||Relevant links and References|
|Links from irrelevant sites||Follow Google SEO Guidelines|
So, you have to choose which SEO technique to follow, but for obviously you have to go for White Hat SEO technique. You may rank for a month or two by Black Hat SEO technique if you’ll get lucky which is quite difficult. Google keeps updating its Algorithm which helps to penalize sites who are using Black Hat SEO techniques. So, choice is yours Black Hat or White Hat.
Now, there two broad categories/types of SEO:
- On-Page SEO
- Content Optimization
- HTML Tag Optimization
- Off-Page SEO
- Link Building
- Social Presence
- Local Citations
On Page SEO
The changes we make within our site which helps us to improve our search engine ranking is called On-Page SEO. On-Page SEO is making sure search engines can read your website and get relevant content from time to time.
Content Optimization means optimizing your content so that it will help the page to get in top results of SERP’s. Search Engine Feeds on content and it only values valuable and fresh content. There are certain things that you can improve in your content and about to tell you about those points.
- Keyword Density: Keyword Density is the ratio (or percentage) of the number of times your keyword appears on the article, versus the number of words on the page. The ideal keyword density should be around 2-3% means if you’ve written a 1000 words article then your keyword should be repeated around 20-30 times max. Avoid Keyword Over usage.
You can use an online keyword density checker or calculate it by yourself.
2. Keyword Proximity: It refers for the distance between words of a keyword in a phrase
Phrase I-Why Content Optimization is Important for Ranking in Search Engine
Phrase II-Why Search Engine Content Optimization is Important for Rankings
Keyword: Ranking in Search Engine
3. Keyword Prominence: Prominence means important, so keyword prominence is putting up your keyword in the important section of your page. Heading of your Page, Top of the Page and Beginning of the paragraph.
4. LSI Keywords: LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing Keywords) in simple terms Synonyms, make sure to use synonyms of your keywords if possible. Try to make your article natural and SEO friendly such that Google can’t see your article as you’re deliberately trying to put strict keywords in your article to rank well. Google likes the natural content and there is more possibility of a ranking if you’ll use some LSI Keywords too.
5. Content Length: If you’re writing an article then your content length should be around 300-600 words at least and if you’re writing a blog then it should be more than 700 words.
6. Readability: Content should be readable easily try to use small paragraphs not more than 150 words.
7. Language: Try to use simple words while writing your article or blog so that kids of age 13-15 can also understand the meaning of your article, Avoid using fancy words.
8. Grammar: Always use correct grammar and tenses while writing your articles and blogs.
9. Related Keywords: Apart from using LSI keywords also use other related keywords you can use different SEO tools to find related keywords. I’ve already discussed the SEO tools in the above section.
HTML Tag Optimization
HTML Tag optimization means improving your different HTML tags that help the page or site to rank better. It is an essential part of On-Page SEO, and you should optimize it properly to rank well in SERP’s. I am listing these points which you should focus while doing your On-Page SEO:
- Meta Tag Optimization: There mainly two types of Meta tags that you should focus on: Meta Title and Meta Description Tag. Meta Title is when you search something on Google and you get the results, the title part is Meta title which can be different from your original page title and Meta Description is the description you get below the title area. You can Use SEO Tools like Yoast SEO and Rank Math to fill your Meta Title and Meta Description.
Note: Always use your keyword in your Meta Tile and Meta Description to rank well in SERP’s
- URL Optimization: URL optimization is optimizing your URL in such a way that it matches the Google Guidelines, so only use small URLs and relevant to the page. Example:
also, use your Keyword in your URL to rank well in SERP’s
- Anchor Tag Optimization: In simple language hyperlink is Anchor Tag, we link some page to another with the use of some keywords. Anchor tag helps in the interlinking of pages as well as outbound links. Anchor tag should be relevant to and from the pages.
- Image Optimization: Always use your keyword in your image alternative text. You can find it on every image you upload in your WordPress media library, just click on the image and use your keyword under Alt text or Alternative text option. This alt attribute helps your image on Google image results as well.
- Heading Tag Optimization: There are 6 heading tags in HTML (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6), we can only use H1 tag once in a page and can use H2, H3, H4 multiple times try not to use H5 and H6 much as Google only look for keywords in upper heading tags i.e., H1, H2, H3, H4. Do try to use your keywords in heading tags as well.
Off Page SEO
The changes we make outside our website in such a way that it helps our SERP’s ranking and helps us to rank high in search engines is called Off-Page SEO. Off-Page SEO includes link building (backlinking), social presence and local citations.
Understanding Difference: Inbound (Backlinks) vs. Internet Links
- From external sites
- Serve as “votes” telling search engines that your site is useful and relevant
- Links within your site, connecting your internal pages
- Makes your site look more cohesive to Search Engines and strengthens the theme of your site
Importance of Link Building
- Receive traffic from other websites linked to you
- High-quality incoming links mean your site will be admired as a valuable resource. (Higher DA-Domain Authority & PA-Page Authority)
- Link building also helps in getting indexed in search results quicker
- More visibility of your website/ blog in search results
- Link Building: Link building means making our site more visible in search engines (indirectly), though Google wants it to be natural, Google wants people should talk about your brand, product or service naturally but we cannot stay idle to wait for people and link to our site. So we use some link building techniques:
- Guest Blogging
- Article Posting
- Directory Submission
- Media Submission
- Q&A Sites and Forums
- Document Sharing
- Social Presence: Google also sees social signals as ranking factors but not that much as others. If people are talking about you on social media and sharing your links and you’re getting traffic from social media sites then Google will see it as positive signs and helps your site in SERPs. Though it is not clear that it actually helps in search engine rankings. There are many SEO tools and SEO Audit tools that tell you about your social media presence.
So, try to engage with your audience on social media, remember not all social media platforms will work for you. You’ve to find it by spending at least 5-6 months on each platform and then decide which platform to focus on.
- Local Citation: If you’re a local business and you to be visible locally then you have to do local citations, register your business on Google maps by creating an account in Google My Business. Google will send you a verification code through the post. After confirming the code your business will be visible in the Google Maps. Google always gives preference to Maps results.
You can also register your businesses in Indiamart, Just Dial, Sulekha, etc to get more reach and visibility of your business in Google SERP’s.
So this is it, in the next topic we’ll talk about the technical SEO part, SEO Audit Tools and SEO Tools. These tools will help the SEO process quick and easy for you.
I hope you have enjoyed The Ultimate SEO Guide for Beginners To Expert. Now it’s your turn to practice and let us know what you think about this guide. What is your favourite tool for keyword research?